Friday, April 11, 2008

Checking In

Hello Everyone,

Well I guess I should take a crack at this "blogging" thing.

As I'm sure most of you have heard Jillie and I went to North Carolina to visit Julie. It was a lot of fun except the weather was better in Michigan than N.C. - just our luck. It was interesting to meet Julie's (Ms. Johnson) class. They asked Jillie and I some questions to figure out who we were - it didn't take them long. Then we went outside and played basketball with the kids. There were tons of kids who wanted to play and when they started falling all over the place and potentially hurting themselves, Jillie said I couldn't play anymore. Oh well, maybe next time.

I am still in East Lansing (no I wasn't involved in the "riots") working at AAA. For the moment I am happy with my job, but I have days that I just want to get out of here and do something else. I wish I knew what that something else was, it would make things much easier. I do occassionally feel challenged enough in this position, but I am constantly looking to either move up in AAA or move on to another job. I applied for a job (still with AAA) back home in the Metro Detroit area, which would bring me closer to friends and family. The position would be a promotion and would be much more challenging. I hope to hear something about it in the next few weeks.

I start docent classes at the Michigan Historical Museum on April 29. I will be going two days a week, for 10 weeks to learn the ins-and-outs of Michigan history. Once I complete the training/classes I will be a docent and will be able to bring groups of people through the museum. If you haven't had a chance to visit the museum, it really is an incredible place. If you want to visit, wait until later in the year and I can give you a private tour.

I guess thats it for now. All in all, things are going good. I am looking forward to summer officially arriving and being up on the lake. Hope all is well with everyone else.

Love,

Ryan

5 comments:

Tim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim said...

Docent? Hmm.. guess I better check my dictionary. I would love to visit the museum and take a tour with you as the guide. I will mention it to our Aunt and maybe we will make the trip.

Well AAA is not the worst place to spend a career. It worked for your Dad, his Dad and several of my friends.

In what department did you apply for a position?

Mick said...

Ryan,
We would love to get a tour. This is what I know about Michigan history. The indians had it and we killed 'em all. Gotta be more to it.

Ryan said...

Docent is pretty much just someone who takes folks around and answers questions that people have or point interesting things out in the museum.

I applied for a Service Manager position which pretty much takes all of the clerical people from every department. If I get the job, then I believe I would have around 15-20 employees working for me.

Uncle Mick,

No, actually, you pretty much got it!

Julie said...

My students still talk about your visit every now and then. You and Jill are pretty popular at EM Yoder Elementary school!