Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hi Family!!!

This past weekend Ryan and I were in North Carolina to see Julie. I had a blast. Ryan and I met her third graders, some of her teacher friends, and all of her doormen/bartender friends. Although the weather wasn't the best, it was really nice to get away from East Lansing for a while, (especially considering that this past weekend's riots were literally just outside my door). Other than my travels, nothing is really new or exciting in my life. As my mom mentioned, I'll be graduating soon. I'm job searching now, but have yet to even get an interview. Although that's causing some anxiety, I'm optimistic that something will open up for me.

Bryan has decided to go to Notre Dame for law school. I'm looking for housing in the South Bend area (as well as jobs) and am really excited that Bryan has finally picked a school. He wrote a "press release" that he sent to his friends at work. I thought that although it was cute, it also proved the Bryan may have too much time on his hands at work.

Here's the "press release"

Area Recruit Commits to Notre Dame
LANSING- Local law recruit Bryan MacKenzie signed his letter of intent this morning, committing to Notre Dame Law School.

"We're excited to have Bryan on board," exclaimed recruiting coordinator Heather Adams. "He brings some real intangibles, and we feel really comfortable with his ability to learn our system. He'll play a key role for the Irish in the coming seasons."

MacKenzie had fallen in the recruiting rankings in recent weeks after a poorshowing at the Combine. His 40 time was slower than expected, and he wasunable to perform any reps of the 225-pound bench press. However, he scored quite well on the "Bullshit-o-meter" and the Moral Flexibility Scale, key factors in determining a recruit's potential as a lawyer.

"I was like, 'I don't know man', there's all these schools, like, and I didn't know" said MacKenzie. "But when [Notre Dame] called, I was like 'whoa man'. And that's for real."

It is unclear exactly what position MacKenzie will fill at Notre Dame. He was originally recruited to fill the role of graduating All-American Alex Johnson in the Constitutional Law department, but a rash of injuries have made Torts an "area of need" for the Irish. This may also mean that MacKenzie may crack the starting lineup as a 1-L, even though original plans were to redshirt him for a year.

Notre Dame finished a disappointing 3-9 last year, largely because the head football coach ate several key members of the Law School. However, the preseason rankings have them in the top 25, and hopes are high in South Bend.


Love to all,
Jill

3 comments:

Tim said...

Congrats to Brian. Good luck finding a job Jillie.

Andy Spencer said...

Brian, congratulations. You should look up Jen Mason McAward (http://law.nd.edu/people/faculty-and-administration/teaching-and-research-faculty/jennifer-mason-mcaward

She's a friend of Molly's. You may know that already.

So big constitutional scholar dude: What's up with the Ninth Amendment?

B Mac said...

Thanks Tim and Andy (and Molly). I'll touch base with your professor friend asap.

I'm definitely a big fan of the ninth amendment. It's probably top five on my list. I know it's a little overshadowed by the "don't torture people" amendment and the "slavery is bad" amendment. But the ninth is a tough little bugger. Lots of pluck. That counts for a lot in my book.